|Lungsod ng Las Pinas (City of Las Piñas)|
Las Piñas aerial photo along Barangays Talon and Almanza. SM Southmall at center
|Nickname(s): Home of the Bamboo Organ, City of Love and Progress, Salt Center of Metro Manila, Lantern Capital of Metro Manila|
|Motto: Las Piñas, Our Home|
Map of Metro Manila showing the location of Las Piñas
|Location within the Philippines|
|Coordinates: / 14.45; 120.98 / 14.45; 120.98|
|Region||National Capital Region|
|Districts||Lone District of Las Piñas|
|Incorporated (Town)||1762 or 1797|
|Incorporated (separated from Parañaque)||March 27, 1907|
|Incorporated (City)||March 26, 1997|
|• Mayor||Imelda T.Aguilar (Nacionalista)|
|• Vice Mayor||Luis I. Bustamante (Nacionalista)|
|• Sangguniang Panlungsod|
|• Total||32.02 km (12.36 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||18,000/km (48,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Philippine Standard Time (UTC+8)|
|ZIP code||1740 - 1752|
|Dialing code||+63 (0)02|
Las Piñas, officially called the City of Las Piñas (Filipino: Lungsod ng Las Piñas), is a city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 588,894.
Las Pinas is bounded to the northeast by Parañaque; to the southeast by Muntinlupa; to the west and southwest by Bacoor; and to the northwest by Manila Bay. Half of its land area is residential and the remaining half is used for commercial, industrial and institutional purposes. The present physiography of Las Piñas consists of three zones: Manila Bay, coastal margin and the Guadalupe Plateau.
Las Pinas was established as a small fishing port and became a major sea salt-producing municipality, through the use of salt evaporation ponds, dating back to the Spanish Era, the city has grown into an important residential, commercial and industrial suburb of Metro Manila.
The Sarao Motors factory, also located in Las Piñas, is the place where jeepneys are assembled piece by piece in painstaking individual production. The factory remains open to buyers and curious tourists all year round.
Las Piñas also houses SM Southmall, which has an area of 205,120 square meters and is located along Alabang–Zapote Road. The newest shopping mall development in the city is Robinsons Place Las Piñas. The first high-rise building in the city is the 16-storey residential Almanza Metropolis while more high-rise buildings will rise in the city soon including South Residences at SM Southmall a 4 tower 15 storey condominium.
The story about the true origin of the city's name, "Las Piñas", varies. One version mentioned, that traders from the province of Cavite and Batangas shipped their first piñas (Spanish for pineapples) for sale to this town, before they were distributed to nearby markets. Another version related, that it was "Las Peñas" (the rocks), evident by the quarrying of stones and adobe, which were used to construct buildings and bridges. The old church bell, from St. Joseph Parish Church, founded by Diego Cera, has been preserved inside the church museum. An inscription on the bell states, "Siendo cura del pueblo de Laspeñas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se fundió este equilón año de 1820," showing, that even during the time of Diego Cera, the town's first parish priest, that the town was called "Las Peñas", for sometime and eventually, was renamed "Las Piñas".
Las Piñas was one of the earliest fishing settlements on the shores of Manila Bay. It was proclaimed as a town of Manila province either in 1762 or 1797. Agustin de la Cavada, a Spanish historian, and Fr. Juan de Medina placed it at 1762. Las Piñas was formerly called "Las Pilas" due to its separation from Parañaque due to tribal conflicts. On the other hand, Manuel Buzeta recorded the date at 1797. Felix Timbang was the first gobernadorcillo in year 1762 while Mariano Ortiz was the first municipal president of the town of Las Piñas.
Besides being famous for its Bamboo Organ, which was built by Fr. Diego Cera and completed in 1824, the town of Las Piñas was also a major war theater during the 1896 Philippine Revolution, as it was occupied by forces of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. Las Piñas was occupied by the Japanese during World War II and liberated by the combined American and Filipino forces.
In 1901, the municipality of Las Piñas was separated from Manila and incorporated to the newly created province of Rizal pursuant to the Philippine Commission Act No. 137. Two years later, in accordance with Act No. 942, it was combined with the town of Parañaque, with the latter as the seat of a new municipal government.
It was separated from Parañaque to become an independent municipality again on March 27, 1907 by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 1625. On November 7, 1975, through Presidential Decree No. 824, Las Piñas was excised from the province of Rizal to form Metro Manila, Las Piñas became one of the municipalities making up the region.
On February 12, 1997, President Fidel V. Ramos signed the bill which elevated Las Piñas from municipality into a city. A plebiscite held a month after approved the city status by its residents, and Las Piñas became the 10th city of Metro Manila on March 26, 1997.
|Population census of Las Piñas|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Las Piñas, like other cities of the Philippines, is a local government unit whose powers and functions are specified by the Local Government Code of the Philippines. In general, as a city, Las Piñas is headed by a mayor who heads the city's executive function and the vice mayor who heads the city's legislative function, which is composed of twelve councilors, six each from the city's two city council districts. For representation, the city is considered as one district, and therefore one representative, in the country's House of Representatives.
Additionally, like other cities and municipalities, Las Piñas is subdivided into barangays.
Las Piñas is divided into 20 barangays. These barangays are grouped into two legislative districts, each with its own set of representatives in the city council. District 1 comprises the northwestern half of the city while District 2, the remaining half.
|Area (km²)||Density (/km²)||Zip Code|
|Pulang Lupa Uno||1st||35,602|
|B. F. International Village||1st||69,660|
|Pulang Lupa Dos||1st||30,779|
SM SouthMall is a large shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings. The mall opened in April 1995, and is the first SM Supermall in southern region of Metro Manila, the 5th SM Supermall ever built by Chinese-Filipino businessman, Henry Sy, Sr. and the 10th largest shopping mall in the Philippines. The mall is 2nd shopping mall in the South Metro Manila Area in terms of its size which is 200,000 square metres (2,152,782 sq ft) of land area and a total floor area of 205,120 square metres (2,207,893 sq ft). It went through major renovation on 2010 and currently caters to all social classes.
Las Piñas will soon be served by the LRT-1 (via Manuyo Uno Station and Las Piñas Station).
The city is bisected by Real Street (Spanish for Royal), also known as the Alabang–Zapote Road. The Alabang–Zapote Road connects the South Luzon Expressway, which passes through Muntinlupa in the east, to Manila-Cavite Expressway (Coastal Road) along the eastern shore of Manila Bay.
Coastal Road is a major tollway which runs the southern length of Metro Manila's shoreline with Manila Bay. It is an important artery for people commuting between Las Piñas and Cavite to Manila.
In 2004, the Daang Hari (Tagalog for King's Way) road was completed along the Las Piñas-Muntinlupa border. The road provides an alternative access route to the inner areas of both cities, including the neighbouring towns of Bacoor, Cavite and San Pedro, Laguna. Daang Hari is also popular route for cyclists, especially on weekends.
Other major roads around Las Piñas are Aguinaldo Highway, Carlos P. Garcia Avenue (C-5 Road Extension), Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue), J. Aguilar Avenue, Marcos Alvarez Avenue, and Daang Reyna (Vista Boulevard)
There are several bus lines linking Las Piñas and Manila. Bus services that operates in Las Piñas includes: Arabia Boy Express, Tas Trans Corp./Bensan Trans, ELMS/Alabang TSC, Reinalyn Bus Lines, Igan Bus lines, Funride Trans Corp., MJ Sunville Transport. There are also several FX vans that goes from Manila to Las Piñas and they are usually parked in front of the Manila Central Post Office. Various jeepney routes also ply the roads between the city and neighboring cities and towns in Parañaque, Muntinlupa & Cavite .
On February 22, 1995, former President Fidel V. Ramos signed Republic Act 8003 into a law – declaring Las Piñas Church and Bamboo Organ, Las Piñas Bridge, Asinan Area, Father Diego Cera Bridge, and Old District Hospital as tourist spots of Las Piñas.
Las Piñas is famous for its Bamboo Organ located inside the St. Joseph Parish Church in the old district of the city. Built in 1824 by a Catholic priest, Fr. Diego Cera, it is the only organ of its kind in the world with organ pipes mostly made out of bamboo. This famous organ is praised for its unique, rare, and melodious sound.
The Las Piñas Historical Corridor Project was a program laid to restore the Old Town of Las Piñas. It was launched at the Malacañan Heroes' Hall on November 13, 1997. The project aims to educate the people of Las Piñas along the tourist corridor. 18 structures were included along the historical corridor, namely;
The town fiesta of Las Piñas is celebrated every first Sunday of May each year to honor its patron saint, Saint Joseph. Saint Joseph's Day celebration is centered in St. Joseph Parish Church in the old poblacion of Las Piñas in Brgy. Daniel Fajardo on Padre Diego Cera Ave. (Quirino Ave.). Las Piñas was also the home of Mary Immaculate Parish Church, popularly known as the Nature Church, designed by Architect Francisco "Bobby" Mañosa.
Las Piñas is also home to unique festivals such as:
|De La Cruz House||The original owner was Genoveva Quilatan de la Cruz, from a political family.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||716 San Francisco Street|| / 14.478003; 120.979163 (De La Cruz House)|
|Santos House||The house was constructed in 1932 by carpenter Pedro Arevalo. The original owners were Maximo Santos (musician) and his wife, Alita Loreto.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||692 San Francisco Street|| / 14.479031; 120.980132 (Santos House)|
|Tionquiao House||The house was constructed in 1947 by carpenter Sebastian Velasquez. The original owner was Ilidian Tionquiao, a dressmaker and businesswoman.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||680 San Francisco Street|| / 14.479451; 120.980492 (Tionquiao House)|
|Cristobal House||The house was constructed in 1946. Its interiors were remodeled by Architect Dagurberto Cristobal Jr., son of the original owner, Manuel Santos Cristobal. The original owner used to work for Philippine Airlines as one of the pioneer plane technicians in the country.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||624 San Francisco Street|| / 14.481687; 120.982643 (Cristobal House)|
|De La Cruz House||The original owners were Mercedes de la Cruz and Felisa de la Cruz, who managed an embroidery business before.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||591 San Francisco Street|| / 14.482730; 120.983872 (De La Cruz House)|
|Hernandez House||Catalina Hernandez was the mother of the original owner.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||578 San Francisco Street|| / 14.483093; 120.983872 (Hernandez House)|
|Jose House||The house was constructed in 1942 by Ingracio Jose Sr., an oil and air brush painter and sculptor.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||043 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.483128; 120.983805 (Jose House)|
|De Leon House||The house was constructed in 1922 by Roberto de Leon. The house was turned into a local headquarters by guerrillas during the World War II.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||810 San Jose Street|| / 14.482522; 120.982605 (De Leon House)|
|Ortiz-Alvarez House||The house was constructed in 1930s – used to be a restaurant during the American Period. Felisa Ortiz and Marcelo Alvarez were the grandparents of the current owner.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.482294; 120.983089 (Ortiz-Alvarez House)|
|De La Cruz House||The house was constructed in 1950s. Gloria de la Cruz, a retired piano teacher, was the current owner.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.482552; 120.982997 (De La Cruz House)|
|Vasquez House||The house was constructed in 1950s. At present, the house was used as a funeraria, or funeral home.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||068 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.483446; 120.983731 (Vasquez House)|
|Jimenez House||The house was constructed in 1930s. Perdo Jimenez, an office clerk at the Manila Post Office in Lawton, and his wife, Ezperanza Alvarez-Jimenez, an embroider, were the original owners.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.482244; 120.982772 (Jimenez House)|
|Fajardo House||The house was constructed in 1939. Felang and Silvestre Fajardo, carpenter were the original owners of the house.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||094 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (068 Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.482153; 120.982644 (Fajardo House)|
|Cristobal House||The house was constructed in 1919. Santiago Cristobal was the original owner of the house.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||152 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.480206; 120.980676 (Cristobal House)|
|Lara House||The house was constructed in 1880s. Calixto Lara, who used to own irasan, or salt beds, and his wife, Andeng Velasquez were the original owners of the house. The house became the Municipal Hall of Las Piñas during 1905–1913.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||160 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.479344; 120.979895 (Lara House)||
|Hernandez House||The house was constructed in 1927 by Luis Eusebio. He was captured by the Japanese soldiers because of his suspected affiliation with a local guerrilla.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||253 Padre Diego Cera Avenue (Quirino Avenue at present)|| / 14.477621; 120.978123 (Hernandez House)|
|Viñalon House||Hon. Baldomero Viñalon, former Mayor of the Municipality of Muntinlupa, used to own the house.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||912–914 Aldana Street corner Ilaya Street|| / 14.478049; 120.978251 (Viñalon House)|
|Alvarez House||The house was constructed in 1920. Lustina Aldana Alvarez was the original owner of the house.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||934 Aldana Street|| / 14.477911; 120.978101 (Alvarez House)|
|Cristobal-Julia House||Victoria Cristobal and Monico Julia were the original owners of the house.||National Capital Region||Las Piñas||218 Aldana Street|| / 14.477751; 120.977917 (Cristobal-Julia House)|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Las Piñas.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Las Piñas.|
Articles Related to Las Piñas